I am all about changing things up and not eating the same stuff each day, that’s boring to me and it doesn’t fill my tank. If it does yours, that’s great! Me however, I like different on a day to day basis or I feel burnt out and bored with my food. Sunday night when I meal prepped, I made a container of vinegar cucumbers.
I remember being a child and visiting my grandmother, she would always have vinegar cucumbers and I munched on them like they were the greatest thing. Still to this day, she will make them for my youngin’. I attempted to make them myself once before and they were a dud, nothing like grandma’s. However, I found this recipe but tweaked it a little for our batch and they are ah-ma-zing!!
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1/4 sweet onion
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- pepper (salt if you prefer but I stayed away)
- Peel the cucumbers and slice to your preferred thickness.
- Slice the onion into thin slices (you don’t have to eat the onion but the flavor will be off if you omit them).
- Put the sliced cucumbers and onions into your container and pour your vinegar and water over them. 1 cup of each seemed to cover my vegetables just right, you can add more/less depending on the depth of your container. You want the liquid to cover the vegetables.
- Season with pepper (and salt if you prefer) just a smidgen.
- Cover and refrigerate. Ours was refrigerated for a good 10 hours before we gave them a sampling and they were perfect, just like grandma’s!
We have been munching on them this week and the taste got even better the longer it had been in the refrigerator. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we have. This will be a staple during the summer months, a quick and tasty (not to mention healthy) treat!