I am all about changing things up and not eating the same stuff each day, that’s boring to me and it doesn’t fill my tank. If it does yours, that’s great! Me however, I like different on a day to day basis or I feel burnt out and bored with my food. Sunday night when I meal prepped, I made a container of vinegar cucumbers.
I remember being a child and visiting my grandmother, she would always have vinegar cucumbers and I munched on them like they were the greatest thing. Still to this day, she will make them for my youngin’. I attempted to make them myself once before and they were a dud, nothing like grandma’s. However, I found this recipe but tweaked it a little for our batch and they are ah-ma-zing!!
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1/4 sweet onion
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- pepper (salt if you prefer but I stayed away)
- Peel the cucumbers and slice to your preferred thickness.
- Slice the onion into thin slices (you don’t have to eat the onion but the flavor will be off if you omit them).
- Put the sliced cucumbers and onions into your container and pour your vinegar and water over them. 1 cup of each seemed to cover my vegetables just right, you can add more/less depending on the depth of your container. You want the liquid to cover the vegetables.
- Season with pepper (and salt if you prefer) just a smidgen.
- Cover and refrigerate. Ours was refrigerated for a good 10 hours before we gave them a sampling and they were perfect, just like grandma’s!
We have been munching on them this week and the taste got even better the longer it had been in the refrigerator. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we have. This will be a staple during the summer months, a quick and tasty (not to mention healthy) treat!
If you took a look at my Monday Matters post, you know I am super excited about my meal prep recipes from last night. The first I wanted to share with you was originally found on Pinterest (shocker!) but the link to the recipe itself can be found here. However, mine was altered a little to make it fit my nutritional focuses, make it work best for you.
- 2 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Can of green beans
- 2 Red potatoes
- 3 Tablespoons of olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut your chicken in half and place it in the middle of a 13×9 dish
- Drain and rinse your green beans and place them on one side of the chicken
- Cut the potatoes in chunks and place them on the opposite side of the chicken
- Sprinkle your Italian seasoning over the entire dish (I only used 1/2 packet)
- Pour your olive oil over the dish evenly
- Cover with foil and bake for an hour
Be careful removing the foil once you’ve pulled it out of the oven, there will be lots of steam. The chicken is so tender, you won’t even need a knife to cut it. I used two forks to shred it and portion it for the next couple of days. I was able to portion out 6 servings.
I didn’t take photos along the process but the next time we make this dish (because we definitely will!), I will so I can update the post with some visuals.
Hope you enjoy!
So much of the time, once Monday rolls around we get in a slump and aren’t excited about the day. That’s not me today though! I have so much to look forward to. I confided in you about some of my struggles in my previous post but although I struggle, I have hope.
This Monday morning I am excited about the day. For the first time in awhile, we meal prepped last night and I am stoked to share the recipes with you. Also today, a friend of mine and I are beginning our Advocare challenge. Today marks day 1 of the cleanse phase. Then tonight, my second season of Run for God begins. We participated in the program a few years ago but haven’t stuck to running. During the program last time I completed my very first full 5K run. Usually, I had just walked them. I felt like I was on top of the world and to be honest, was probably in the best shape of my life then. I’m ready to get that me back! It’s coming.
Now, for the meal prep last night. I made a delicious one pan dish that included chicken, green beans, and red potatoes. I also made vinegar cucumbers and clean deviled eggs. Just look at how delicious all of this looks! I will be sharing the recipes in separate posts.
Make it a marvelous Monday!